Monday, January 24, 2011

Map to Mercy

"Then answered the Lord.... Wilt thou also disannul My judgment? Wilt thou condemn Me, that thou mayest be righteous?" (Job 40:6-8). "Have mercy upon me, O God.... Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions.... that Thou mightest be justified when Thou speakest, and be clear when Thou judgest.... Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom" (Psalm 51:1-6).

There is a map with God's direction
To find His righteousness,
As we acknowledge our transgression
And honestly confess.

The path of mercy for our soul
Directs us to repent,
Though fools will think they disannul
His judgment they resent.

But God desires truth within
Our hidden, inward parts,
That He may cleanse us from our sin,
And purify our hearts.

Our God alone through Jesus Christ
Can wash us thoroughly;
His truth and mercy have sufficed
To purge iniquity.

We thank You, Lord, that You have shown
Your map to mercy's favor
That bids us trust in Christ alone;
There is no other Savior.

No comments: