Sunday, November 25, 2012

Peace or the Pit

“He brought me up also out of an horrible pit (Heb. “pit of noise”), out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.  And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD…  Sacrifice and offering Thou didst not desire; Mine ears hast Thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast Thou not required.  Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of Me, I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart.” (Psalm 40:2-8). 

Out of a horrible pit I was taken,
Up from the mire that held me so long,
On to the rock which can never be shaken,
Into my mouth God has put a new song.

Sweet is the new song, and great are its themes
Telling how Jesus my Savior prevailed.
He is the Offering for sin that redeems:
All other offerings are shadows that failed.

Many shall see it and trust what is written
Seeing that Scripture was clearly fulfilled:
Christ came to earth as the Sacrifice smitten,
Laying His life down for us as God willed.

O what a difference I hear in the voice,
Reading the volume of God’s Holy Writ:
Jesus has spoken!  I’m done with the noise
Heard in the depths of the horrible pit!

Thank You, O Lord, for the marvelous peace
Flooding my soul with Your voice that I’ve heard.
Help me lead others who likewise may cease
Hearing the noise that replaces Your Word. 

No comments: