Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lifted by Listening

“O LORD my Rock, be not silent to me: lest, if Thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit… because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of His hands, He shall destroy them, and not build them up” (Psalm 28:1,5).  “A wise son heareth his Father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke… Good understanding giveth favor: but the way of transgressors is hard.” (Proverbs 13:1,15).  “Jesus… leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves… And there appeared unto them Elijah with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus… And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is My beloved Son: hear Him” (Mark 9:2-7).

I’m learning to listen to what God is saying
As daily He speaks to my heart from His Word.
The Lord is not silent; each day He’s conveying
Instruction that lifts me by what I have heard.

If God would be silent, how soon I would sink,
Becoming like those who go down to the pit!
Without His instruction to guide how I think
I’d walk without light and in darkness would sit.

Consider the lost who refuse to regard
The works of the Lord and His hands’ operation:
The way of the transgressor surely is hard,
Who scoffs at God’s favor and mocks His salvation.

How privileged were those who ascended that mountain
Where Moses, Elijah, and Jesus were talking!
The Law and the prophets from Christ had their fountain
Who came to fulfill what transgressors were mocking.

Then well-meaning Peter decided to speak
When he should have listened to what was then spoken.
Am not I like Peter when I do not seek
To listen when silence should not yet be broken?

The Father’s reproof thus comes rightly to me,
Who calls me “hear Him,” His well-pleasing Son.
I listen in silence:  His truth makes me free
And strengthens my heart for the race I must run.

O Lord, You have lifted me up by Your love,
As daily You speak and You cause me to hear
Your marvelous counsel that comes from above
To shine on my pathway and make Your way clear.
 


No comments: