Saturday, November 24, 2012

Flaming Desire in our Fleeting Days

“I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.  I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred. My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned: then spake I with my tongue, LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am” (Psalm 39:1-4).  Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:  so shall thy poverty come” (Proverbs 24:33,34).  “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me… to preach the acceptable year of the Lord” (Luke 4:18,19). 

My heart was hot, the fire burned,
As in my musing, I was tossed,
Discouraged that so many spurned
God’s gracious offer to the lost. 

I turned my prayer then to the Lord 
(I should have done so long before),
And that is when I was restored,
But then the flame burned even more!

I realized my days were few,
My wealth would soon be left behind,
My strength was surely fleeting too,
Yet these were limits God defined.

Distraction had obscured my vision
By fretting over those who scorned.
I couldn’t change their wrong decision,
But I could pray for those I warned.

I understood that I was frail
But God was using frail men. 
It is by grace that we prevail
Until our Savior comes again.  

It isn’t time to hold my peace
Or fold my hands to now retire,
For opportunities shall cease:
The time is NOW to stir the fire.

The Spirit of the Lord resides
In us to now release His power. 
His fruitfulness today abides
With grace for claiming every hour.

So may God’s love be spread abroad
Ignited by His holy Word
To manifest the love of God
As His own flame is in us stirred.

Lord, let Your flame now take control
That souls may see their urgent need.
This is the day acceptable;
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Lord, thank You for Your fiery love
That burns forevermore the same
In Your own Spirit from above
Who stirs in us Your zealous flame.

No comments: