Monday, November 12, 2012

Desire and Denial

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple” (Psalm 27:4).  “Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me” (Mark 8:34). 

The one thing that I most desire
Is seeing Christ in all His beauty
And in His temple to inquire
To find how worship blends with duty.

The temple now that I explore,
Where Christ is reigning on His throne,
Is in my heart as I adore
And I commune with Him alone.

Alas, with sin I may defile
This temple where my Lord should reign,
When pride displaces self denial,
And self directed life is vain.

With every day there comes a choice
That will determine gain or loss. 
I need to heed my Savior’s voice:
Come follow Me!  Take up your cross!

My life is not so complicated
When I am ready to obey.
It’s only when I’ve hesitated,
I find that I have lost my way.

But then desire draws me back
To see this sweet simplicity:
In Jesus Christ there is no lack
Of grace and truth to make me free.

O Lord, come take Your rightful place
Within my heart enlarged for You!
Denying self, desiring grace,
At last Your beauty is in view!

No comments: