Monday, August 01, 2011

Dreadful Drink

"The zeal of Thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached Thee are fallen upon Me.... Reproach hath broken My heart, and I am full of heaviness.... They gave Me also gall for My meat, and in My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink" (Psalm 69:9-21). "Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon Him, went forth, and said.... The cup which My Father hath given Me, shall I not drink it?" (John 18:4-11).

O dreadful drink, so full of wrath!
How full it was for Christ our Lord,
Who knew what lay upon His path
Awakening God's judgment sword!

Reproach would cause His heart to break,
And heaviness would fill His soul.
That cup of wrath that He would take
For our iniquity was full!

For meat they also gave Him gall,
For drink the gave Him vinegar,
And in return He gave His all
With love that caused Him to endure.

Above all we could ask or think,
You did, Lord, what we couldn't do:
You drained our curse (that dreadful drink!)
To reconcile our souls with You!

No comments: