Friday, December 30, 2011

Washed Whiter

"Pharaoh... said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked.... And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants" (Exodus 9:27,34). "Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part Thou shalt make me know wisdom.... Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.... Create in me a clean heart, O God" (Psalm 51:6,7,10). "There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness" (Proverbs 30:12). "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth" (3 John 4).

How great is the darkness deceiving our hearts!
How deeply our motives are buried within!
But God will send light to our most inward parts,
That we may be truthfully cleansed from our sin.

Confessions like Pharaoh's may seem to be true:
He said the right words, and he sounded sincere.
How soon was his hardness of heart then in view:
When trouble had ceased, his rebellion was clear!

The Scripture sheds light on our own generation:
Though not washed from sin, they are pure in their eyes.
How great is their danger, so blind to salvation,
Esteeming themselves to be guiltless and wise!

Lord, wash us that we may be whiter than snow;
Expose the intentions we foolishly hide.
Create in us clean hearts with wisdom to know
That truth makes us free as You cleanse us inside.

No comments: