Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Sorrow and Sovereignty

"Rachel travailed, and she had hard labor.... And it came to pass, as her soul was departing (for she died), that she called his name Benoni (lit., son of my sorrow): but His father called him Benjamin (lit., son of my right hand)." (Genesis 35:16-18). "But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God" (Hebrews 10:12).

Benoni was titled, when Rachel travailed,
The "son of my sorrow," as life from her passed.
His father renamed him, and so he was hailed
As Benjamin, "son of my right hand" at last.

The son of my sorrow: reflect on that name
Portraying the beauty of Jesus our Lord!
The son of my right hand he later became:
What marvelous portraits these titles afford!

O Lord, we give thanks for the sweet meditation
In names where Your sorrow and glory are shown!
You humbled Yourself to accomplish salvation,
And now You're exalted upon heaven's throne!

No comments: