Friday, December 02, 2011

Appetite for Application

"The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want.... Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over" (Psalm 23:1,5). "My son, if thou wilt apply thine heart to understanding... then thou shalt understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God" (Proverbs 2:1-5). "For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye... are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For everyone that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil" (Hebrews 5:12-14).

The Lord is my Shepherd who feeds me so well;
He spreads out a table abundantly full.
Though enemies watch from the powers of hell
They tremble before Him who comforts my soul.

With all this abundance before me now spread,
There's more than just milk here for which I am reaching:
I ought to be hungry for strong meat instead,
And exercised thereby, I ought to be teaching!

O Lord, You have taught me to trust and obey,
That I may between good and evil discern.
How faithful You've been to my soul everyday
To grant me the strength to apply what I learn!

Lord, cause to come to Your freshly spread table
Each day with an appetite for application,
And thereby discover through Christ I am able
To do what will please You in each situation.

No comments: