Monday, December 27, 2010

Shining in the Shadow

"He discovereth the deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.... They grope in the dark without light, and He maketh them to stagger like a drunken man" (Job 12:22,25). "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me" (Psalm 23:4).

How dark was the forecast ahead that was plain:
The shadow of death like the clouds of a storm
Had darkened the sky, and it seemed quite insane
That apathy ruled as society's norm.

I felt so alone as in darkness I groped!
Why were the people content to be blind?
Then out of that darkness I cried and I hoped:
God heard my prayer, and in darkness He shined.

Then there was Light in the shadow of death!
God was not silent; He gave us His Word:
Our Lord came to earth, and He spent His last breath
Declaring the Gospel this world has heard!

Yet even today there is little concern
In matters eternal where God sheds His light.
The truth makes us free if we're willing to learn,
But time has a limit, and day turns to night.

We thank You, O Lord, for the Light that You gave
When You came from heaven to die in our place
To shine in the shadow of death and the grave,
Redeeming all those who will trust in Your grace!

No comments: