Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Some of their Sum

O Lord, Thou hast searched me, and known me.... I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.... How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them they are more than the sand: when I awake, I am still with Thee" (Psalm 139:1-18).

Lord, You have made me and searched me as well:
There's nothing about me that You have not known.
You counted the sum that would save me from hell,
And paid it in full on the cross all alone.

How precious, O Lord, Your thoughts are to me!
How marvelous, Lord, is the work of Your hands!
The ear that can hear and the eye that can see
Are wondrous indeed, and my soul understands!

And Lord, how much more, are the thoughts of Your heart
That ponder my spirit and care for my soul!
I never could count them, I know from the start;
Their sum too great, and their depth is so full!

Your thoughts are a source, Lord, of unending pleasure,
To meditate daily on some of their sum,
Rejoicing in love that is boundless in measure,
For this was the love that compelled You to come!

No comments: