Saturday, January 19, 2008

Scope of the Scornful

"Unto Thee lift I up mine eyes.... Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease" (Psalm 123:1,4). "Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that mayest be wise in thy latter end. There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand.... Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge. An ungodly witness scorneth judgment.... Judgments are prepared for scorners" (Proverbs 19:2-29).

The scope of the scornful is clearly defined,
In spite of their many devices:
Their counsel shall fail as blind lead the blind,
And ruin the souls it entices.

I lift up my eyes and I find my relief
From the scorning of sinners at ease.
The counsel of God undergirds my belief,
And He is the One I would please.

And so for a season the scorner will mock,
But judgment shall find them at last.
Cease then from hearing their blasphemous talk,
And to God's instruction hold fast.

No comments: