Friday, April 17, 2015

Faith in the Fires


"Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me... Because of his strength will I wait upon Thee: for God is my Defense.... for Thou hast been my Defense and Refuge in the day of my trouble" (Psalm 59:1,9,16).  "The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts" (Proverbs 17:3).  "Wherefore glorify ye the LORD in the fires" (Isaiah 24:15).  "And this I do for the gospel's sake" (1 Corinthians 9:23). 

The Lord is teaching me to wait
And place in Him my confidence. 
Because the devil's strength is great,
I'll trust in God as my Defense. 

I've seen His hand defend my cause
With His protection and His grace.
He saved me from the lion's claws
When He became my Hiding Place.

The fires of the fining pot
Refine the silver and the gold,
But God will try the inward thought
Of every heart He will behold.

For this cause I would glorify
The Lord in tribulation's fires, 
That He may purge my faith He'll try
And purify my heart's desires. 

The Lord, I know, makes no mistake;
In this my confidence shall rest. 
He proves me for the Gospel's sake
And purifies me with each test. 

Lord, purge my faith from sinful dross,
Which in the fires You refine.
You took my sins upon Your cross,
Now take Your will and make it mine.  


No comments: