Friday, August 15, 2014

Wonderful beyond Words


“Then went king David in, and sat before the LORD, and he said, Who am I, O Lord GOD?  And what is my house, that Thou hast brought me hitherto?... And what can David say more unto Thee?  For Thou, Lord GOD, knowest Thy servant.” (2 Samuel 7:18-20).  “Thy name, O LORD, endureth forever; and Thy memorial, O LORD, throughout all generations” (Psalm 135:13).  “Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable Gift” (2 Corinthians 9:15).   

How shall I now articulate
A Gift that is unspeakable,
Astonishing, exceeding great,
Beyond all words, so wonderful? 

I certainly am not the first
To find that I can say no more! 
King David also once rehearsed
Such grace, and found his words too poor. 

What more, Lord, can I say to You
As I consider all Your grace
That saved and brought me hitherto  
And soon shall bring us face to face?  

There’s nothing, Lord, You do not know
About Your servant and his ways,
Yet nonetheless You love me so,
And I am speechless in my praise. 

Your name, O Lord, endures forever
Because Your praise shall never end. 
There is no power that can sever
My heart from Yours, eternal Friend! 

Lord, who am I that I should speak
Such words describing our relation? 
It is the speech of all who seek
And find in You so great salvation! 

How wonderful beyond all measure,
Beyond my feeble words, O Lord,
It is to find in YOU my Treasure,
With riches scarcely yet explored!

This Gift, I know, Lord, was not free;  
O how unspeakable in Price!   
You gave Yourself to ransom me;
You saved me with Your Sacrifice!

Lord, teach me now to reach the lost
With grace so wonderful and clear
By words You give that show the cost
Unspeakable to draw them near. 


No comments: