Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Above the Asking

"The king.... asked life of Thee, and Thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever and ever" (Psalm 21:1,4). "Blind Bartimaeus.... came to Jesus. And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight. And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way, thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way" (Mark 10:46-52).

O Lord, I do remember well
That night so filled with inner strife:
I asked for an escape from hell;
You gave me everlasting life!

Your blessings, like a glorious mountain,
Were far above what I could dream!
Abundant life was like a fountain
That grew into a mighty stream!

As Bartimaeus, who was blind,
Was longing to receive his sight,
The blindness of my darkened mind
Had shrouded me in fearful night.

And just as Bartimaeus found
Upon that day You made him whole,
You gave me sight, and then You crowned
My path with blessings to my soul!

I thank You, Lord, that You endured
The cross to spare my soul from wrath
And for the blessings thus procured
Above the asking on my path.

No comments: