Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Confident vs. Confounded

"Many a time have they afflicted me from my youth: yet they have not prevailed against me.... The LORD is righteous: He hath cut asunder the cords of the wicked. Let them all be confounded and turned back that hate Zion" (Psalm 129:2-5). "The LORD shall be thy confidence and shall keep thy foot from being taken" (Proverbs 3:26). "Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD" (Jeremiah 1:8).

How many times my foes assailed
My soul throughout my life,
Yet by God's grace have not prevailed
Against me by their strife.

How many times it surely sounded
Like I would never rise,
But God upheld me and confounded
My foes to their surprise.

O Lord, since You're my Confidence,
My foot shall not be taken.
Why should I fear the countenance
Of foes who shall be shaken?

No comments: