Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Distracted by Dust


"My soul cleaveth unto the dust… I have stuck unto Thy testimonies… I will run the way of Thy commandments, when Thou shalt enlarge my heart" (Psalm 119:25,31,32).  "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart… Happy is the man that findeth wisdom… all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her" (Proverbs 3:5,13,15).  "The earth… fadeth away" (Isaiah 24:4).  "As [Paul] reasoned of… judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered… When I have a convenient season, I will call for thee" (Acts 24:25).

There is a deadly downward pull
Today that rages in the heart,
As dust distracts and claims the soul
And thus corrupts the inward part. 

We dare not cleave to carnal dust
That draws the soul with vain attractions,
For all our heart in God should trust,
Who sets us free from such distractions.

The earth shall surely fade away,
Though now distractions may increase,
For dust is destined for decay,
And all its glory then shall cease. 

O Lord, like Felix who reacted
And called for "a convenient season,"
How many like him are distracted
By dust that clouds their sense of reason! 


No comments: