Monday, January 05, 2015

Divine Discretion


"Ought ye not to walk in the fear of our God?" (Nehemiah 5:9).  "Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn Thy commandments... that I be not ashamed" (Psalm 119:73,80).  "My son, attend unto My wisdom, and bow thine ear to My understanding:  that thou mayest regard discretion" (Proverbs 5:1,2).  "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength" (Mark 12:30). 

The Lord shall teach me good discretion,
So I shall better understand
And be delivered from transgression
As I am led forth by His hand. 

The Lord instructs with great compassion
The Gospel truths I have proclaimed.
His hands have made me and they fashion
A heart to trust Him, unashamed.

God bids me listen to His voice
As from His Word by Him I'm taught
To exercise in every choice
Divine discretion as I ought. 

Divine discretion's firm foundation
With this commandment is aligned:
To love the Lord of our salvation
With all my heart, soul, strength, and mind.

Lord, thank You for Your good instruction
That leads me in Your perfect way,
That guards my heart from vain seduction,
And teaches me what I should say. 

Lord, teach me that I may be wise,
Discreet in what I say and do,
To show Your grace that justifies
The sinner who will trust in You. 

Lord, let Divine discretion keep
And guide me in Your righteous path,
That I may thereby feed Your sheep,
And  warn the lost to flee from wrath.  


No comments: