Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Shown by the Shepherd

“The LORD is my Shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me” (Psalm 23:1-3).  “A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps” (Proverbs 16:9).  “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” (Micah 6:8). 

My Shepherd shows me every day,
With counsel greater than my own,
The things I ought to do and say
Which, through the Scriptures, He has shown.

At times He makes me to lie down
In pastures green where I am fed.
In troubled waters I could drown,
But He has stilled them where I’m led.

At times by Him I am restored
When I have needed His correction,
Then for the name’s sake of my Lord,
In righteous paths He gives direction. 

My heart may plan the way I take,
But God directs my steps at last
Into the path for His name’s sake
As every care on Him I cast. 

I borrow from Him every breath;
All that I have is by His grace.
I need not fear approaching death,
For then I’ll see Him face to face. 

Thus comforted by staff and rod,
He surely shows me what is good
By walking humbly with my God
And living like Him as I should. 

Lord, thank You for Your wondrous love
That shows me daily how to live.
You left Your majesty above:
What greater model could You give?

Until my days on earth are done,
Lord, show me daily what to do
That precious souls may thus be won
And find You as their Shepherd too.


No comments: