Sunday, October 06, 2013

Length of my Languishing

“How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily?... But I have trusted in Thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in Thy salvation.  I will sing unto the LORD, because He hath dealt bountifully with me” (Psalm 13:2-6).  “My son, keep thy Father's commandment… When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee” (Proverbs 6:20-22).  “We believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved… And to this agree the words of the prophets… And when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:  which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation” (Acts 15:11-31). 

How long shall my languishing last
With sorrow that silences song?
Praise God, who commands me to cast
My cares on Him all the day long!

The joy of my heart has been stirred: 
The song of salvation is found,
Discovered again in God’s Word
Where counsels of mercy abound!

My heavenly Father’s command,
Which I am commanded to keep,
Reminds me I’m held in His hand
At all times, awake or asleep. 

How long shall my heart keep its sorrow?
As long as I tend to forget
That God will be faithful tomorrow
Who never has failed me yet! 

I know I am saved by God’s grace:
To this all the prophets agree! 
No power on earth can erase
His truth which has made my heart free! 

How great is my Lord’s consolation!
What more to my soul could He say?
How wonderful is His salvation
Which comforts my heart every day! 

O Lord, as I’m hearing Your voice,
My heart is astonished again! 
How rightly I ought to rejoice
And shout, “Hallelujah!  Amen!”

How tenderly, Lord, You have drawn
My heart by Your unceasing love.
The length of my languishing?  Gone,
Replaced by affections above!

Yet many, O Lord, need to know
The reason You suffered in anguish. 
By Your great commission I’ll show
Salvation that never will languish!


No comments: