Sunday, February 06, 2011

Pressing toward the Prize

"Better is the sight of the eyes than the wandering of the desire: this also is vanity and vexation of spirit.... He that observeth the wind shall not sow, and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap" (Ecclesiastes 6:9, 11:4). "This one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13,14).

The one observing wind that blows
And watching clouds for rain,
Procrastinating, never sows
And spends his days in vain.

Be done with every vain distraction!
Be done with wandering eyes!
This is a time for focused action,
And reaching for the prize!

There's one thing I am called to do;
On this I will embark.
There is a prize I would pursue,
And press toward its mark.

It is the call of God in Christ
That I will press toward;
Forgetting things that once enticed,
I'll seek and serve my Lord.

I'll press toward the mark that's higher
Than vanity's vexation,
And fix my heart and my desire
On Christ and His salvation.

The Lord will come (O blessed hope!),
But now He's calling me
To sow and reap (not merely cope!),
And live victoriously!

Until the day You call me home,
O Lord, I would pursue
The calling that will neither roam
Nor turn from loving You.

No comments: