Sunday, February 13, 2011

Leaving a Legacy

"Now also when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not, until I have showed Thy strength unto this generation, and Thy power to every one that is to come" (Psalm 71:18). "There is that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches.... A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children" (Proverbs 13:7,22). "We give thanks to God always for... your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Thessalonians 1:2,3).

How swiftly minutes turn to hours,
Then days, then weeks, then years!
How quickly fade the blooming flowers;
How soon the night appears!

There's still much more that I would do,
But time will surely fail.
Ambitions that I would pursue
At last I must curtail.

Yet I would leave a legacy,
A memory that is blest,
That shows to my posterity
The riches that are best.

The work of faith in Christ our Lord,
The labor in His love,
The patient hope we look toward,
Are riches stored above.

Lord, these are treasures I would leave;
I pray that You'll allow
My children's children to receive
These riches You endow.

No comments: