Sunday, October 15, 2017

Prompted to Pray


"I love the LORD, because He hath heard my voice… The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me…  Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech Thee, deliver my soul… I was brought low, and He helped me" (Psalm 116:1-6).  "Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?" (Proverbs 15:8).  "Who then can be saved?  Jesus… said unto them… With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible" (Matthew 19:25,26). 

I do remember very well
That dreadful season of my sorrow
When I had pondered death and hell
Which might descend before tomorrow. 

I could not shake the awful sense
That death approached, to my despair,   
Amid the great indifference
Of multitudes who did not care! 

In retrospect, I see the love
That graciously had brought me low
To pray for mercy from above
That Christ delighted to bestow.

O Lord, You prompted me to pray
For that which seemed impossible! 
It was Your love that found a way
To save by grace my trembling soul!  


No comments: