Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Midnight Meditation


"Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide" (Genesis 24:63).  "Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in Thy Word" (Psalm 119:148).  "Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge, that I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?" (Proverbs 22:20,21).  "The night is far spent, the day is at hand... let us put on the armor of light" (Romans 13:12). 

The midnight watches I recall
Before I found in Christ salvation
Had no attraction then at all,
But rather, fearful meditation! 

But after I met Christ my Lord,
Those watches I'd anticipate
Because those hours would afford
A quiet time to meditate. 

Those watches then became a pleasure
To ponder Scriptures I had read,
As I reflected on the treasure
Of wondrous things my Lord had said. 

O Lord, how much You taught me when
Those midnight watches were in sight! 
My meditation now, as then,
Still floods the darkness with Your light.  


No comments: