Saturday, February 07, 2015

Heaven's Helmet

"My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God" (Job 16:21).  "O GOD the Lord, the Strength of my salvation, Thou hast covered my head in the day of battle" (Psalm 140:7).  "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life" (John 5:24). 

The day may come when even friends
May scorn me also with my foes.
My soul on Jesus Christ depends,
Though every other friend oppose.

The Lord has surely seen my tears,
And all my ways as well has pondered. 
He rescued me from all my fears,
Restoring me when I had wandered. 

When all around was empty prattle,
My Lord's instruction I have heard. 
My head He covered in the battle;
My heart He strengthened by His Word. 

The helmet of my Lord's salvation
Throughout the battle I have worn.
His peace remains in confrontation,
Though enemies and friends may scorn. 

Considering my Lord's protection,
My heart rejoices in the strife,
As I have pondered the perfection
Of promised everlasting life! 

O Lord, what blessings You have wrought
For all who put their trust in You! 
Upon the cross for me You fought
And rose triumphant for me too! 

You gave Yourself, Lord, in my stead,
So You alone are my Defense. 
With heaven's helmet on my head,
I need no other confidence! 

Let heaven's helmet that You gave,
O Lord, equip me with Your grace
To preach the Gospel that will save
The souls who truly seek Your face.  


No comments: