Monday, February 09, 2015

Driven to Drink


"He shall be driven from light into darkness... this is the place of him that knoweth not God" (Job 18:18,21).  "My spirit was overwhelmed... I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.  I cried unto Thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my Refuge" (Psalm 142:3-5).  "If any man thirst, let him come unto Me, and drink.  He that believeth on Me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water " (John 18:37,38). 

When I was overwhelmed with fear,
Where could I turn for comfort then?
Eternity was drawing near,
And death was not an "IF" but "WHEN."

The contradicting books on shelves
Could not address eternity.
My friends who cared not for themselves
Cared neither for my soul nor me. 

At last I raised my awkward prayer, 
Though driven into darkness still,
To God, in case that He was there
And was inclined to show His will. 

A day then dawned beyond that night:
A Christian brought an invitation
To hear the Gospel with God's light
Dispelling darkness with salvation!

The Savior heard my feeble cry! 
I thought it was impossible
To know the truth before I die
And find a Refuge for my soul!

The Lord knew all about my thirst
When He was drawing me to drink. 
Though I had thought the very worst,
His Gospel changed the way I think! 

The Gospel taught me what it cost;
Salvation had an awful price!
Christ gave Himself to save the lost
When He became my Sacrifice. 

How dreadful was that darkness, Lord,
Which hid Your mercy from my eyes! 
How fearfully have souls ignored
The light of truth which they despise! 

I'm driven, Lord, to drink each day
From living waters by Your Spirit
Which flow with truth that show Your way
To those in darkness who will hear it. 

O Lord, Your truth now springs within;
I'm driven now to drink thereof!
Its fountain cleanses me from sin
And flows with everlasting love! 


No comments: