Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Remember the Remedy

The path of the just is as the shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day... Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:18,23).  “Then I said, I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name. But His Word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay” (Jeremiah 20:9).  “I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works” (Revelation 2:4,5). 

Our heart should be kept for the Lord Jesus Christ
And not be distracted with temporal things,
For why should our heart be so vainly enticed
And turned from the joy that our love for Him brings? 

At times we may think that our trouble would cease
If we would not speak any more in His name.
How foolish this is to abandon our peace,
Withholding the Gospel we ought to proclaim! 

We know Jeremiah had once felt this way,
For thus he described his discouraged desire,
Yet he became weary and no more could stay
The words that were burning within him as fire.

Remember the remedy Christ has for sin:
Returning to Him with the first love we knew,
Repenting of hardness of heart that crept in,
Reviving the works that we ought to pursue.

O Lord, we give thanks for this wonderful cure
That heals the heart that has strayed from Your love: 
We’re called back to You from this world’s vain lure
To set our affections on things up above! 

Lord, stir us to live with a holier passion
As we walk this path growing brighter each day,
Increasing our love for You, Lord, in this fashion,
And putting Your remedy thus on display.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you,the tears run down my face as I read this. I Take hold of your words and pull the deep inside my heart.

Quiet Time Poems said...

Thank you, dear Barbara. As I draw on the comfort of God that flows from His heart, it is often with tears of joy and worship. Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone.