Sunday, July 25, 2010

Height of my Hope

"Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is, that I may know how frail I am.... verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.... And now, Lord, what wait I for? My hope is in Thee" (Psalm 39:4-7).

In search of the height of my hope,
I climb to the length of my days,
And view there that slippery slope,
Where health soon in weakness decays.

I search for a different measure,
Since hope isn't found in my health.
I climb to the summit of treasure,
But wings fly away with my wealth.

I search in the sphere of attraction
To win and influence my friends:
Adversity ends this distraction,
When weather that's fair quickly ends.

I searched all these prospects so flawed;
I climbed every mountain but One.
I finally turned then to God,
And placed all my hope in His Son!

In Christ is the height of true gain;
In Christ is eternal salvation!
All temporal hope is in vain;
In Christ is my soul's satisfaction!

No comments: