Monday, November 09, 2009

Reasonable Renewal

"Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity, and quicken Thou me in Thy way" (Psalm 119:37). "Forsake the foolish and live, and go in the way of understanding" (Proverbs 9:6). "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:1,2).

How good it is, upon reviewing
God's merciful and perfect will,
To be transformed by the renewing
Of our mind to serve Him still!

The only other way to live
Is in conformance with the rule
Of this world's vain alternative:
A blind and God-denying fool.

Why then would we be so blind
And so unreasoning in heart,
That we would not renew our mind,
And would not from our sin depart?

Lord, hear my prayer to turn away
My eyes that look on vanity.
O keep me, Lord, again today,
From all this world's insanity.

Renew my mind, O Lord, to prove
The things that You esteem as good,
And every other thing remove,
So I may serve You as I should.

No comments: