Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Led by Light

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105). "Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom. A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.... The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it and is safe.... There is a Friend that sticketh closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:1,2,10,24).

Led by light that was not mine,
I sought the Lord upon my path,
And there His Word did brightly shine
To turn my feet away from wrath!

This world could never answer me;
How dark was the indifference
Of those who faced eternity,
Yet did not seek for a defense!

What hopelessness! Where could I turn?
I could not even trust my heart,
For how could I myself discern
The truth this earth could not impart?

But then I thought upon that name,
That tower strong throughout all time:
Christ Jesus to this world came,
And still His impact was sublime!

Could He hear me? Did He care?
How would I know it if He did?
I cried to Him, "God if You're there..."
He was! In fact, He never hid!

What blissful joy was mine that night!
What love His Word unveiled to me!
Receiving Him then, in that light,
My eyes, once blind, could clearly see!

His Word still shines upon my way;
He speaks to me as Friend to friend.
I'm led by light from day to day,
And kept by love that cannot end.

No comments: