Friday, November 06, 2009

Hero of Hebron

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to Thy Word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from Thy commandments" (Psalm 119:10). "Caleb... said unto him, Thou knowest... my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the Lord my God.... Now, behold, the Lord hath kept me alive.... Now therefore give me this mountain.... Hebron therefore became the inheritance of Caleb.... because he wholly followed the Lord God of Israel" (Joshua 14:6-14).

There is today a pressing need
For heart revival to be stirred
By seeking God and taking heed
According to His precious Word.

Sometimes companions come along,
Yet surely sometimes they will not.
Sometimes the crowd is very wrong
In conversation, deed, and thought.

Caleb saw the promised land,
And so did all his fellow spies.
Caleb followed God's command,
While all but one would follow lies.

Caleb therefore would survive
To thus inherit Hebron's mountain.
God alone kept him alive;
The fear of God had been his fountain.

Hebron means "a sure alliance".
This was surely what he found:
For in the midst of such defiance,
God helped Caleb stand his ground.

And so may we be likewise led,
As Joshua and Caleb were,
To wholly follow God instead
Of those whose faith will not endure.

No comments: