Monday, June 25, 2018

Humble vs. Haughty

"Cleave unto the LORD your God" (Joshua 23:8).  "LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.  Surely I have behaved and quieted myself… even as a weaned child" (Psalm 131:1,2).  "As an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, so is a wise Reprover upon an obedient ear" (Proverbs 25:12).  "For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11). 

How good it is to cleave to God
And humbly trust His wise direction!
When He reproves us with His rod,
He lovingly imparts correction. 

The Lord can see the consequence
Of haughty hearts and lofty eyes. 
We need reproof, not compliments,
When our behavior is not wise.  

The Lord's reproof is beautiful
Upon the ear that will obey,
Imparting healing to the soul,
Correcting those who go astray. 

O Lord, how prone we are to stumble  
With haughty hearts until we're halted
By Your reproof that makes us humble,
That You may rightly be exalted.  


No comments: