Saturday, March 02, 2013

Wealth in the Watches

“I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD… I cried unto Thee; save me… I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in Thy word.  Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in Thy word” (Psalm 119:145-148).  “Yea, if thou criest after knowledge.. and searchest for her as for hid treasures; then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God” (Proverbs 2:3-5).  “Truly the light is sweet” (Ecclesiastes 11:7).  “Now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face” (1 Corinthians 13:12). 

I do recall the mid-watch prayer
When I had cried out in the night:
I did not know if God was there,
For He was hidden from my sight.

But I this I knew:  I soon would die. 
For life, indeed, is very brief.
I dared to plead with God and cry
For honest reasons for belief.

His voice then was not audible,
But He was speaking, just the same.
I sensed a calming of my soul,
As reasons, as requested, came.

The Lord had drawn me with desire
To know the truth I could not see. 
He stooped to pull me from the mire
Of ignorance and apathy.

How great then was His hidden wealth
In midnight watches that I stood! 
The Lord was there with saving health
And with the proof that He was good.

The proof of which I now am speaking
Became more clear when I was led
To search His Word with others seeking
To know those things the prophets said. 

How truly then the light was sweet
That dawned upon my opened eyes!
The wealth of Scripture was replete
With truth that made the seeker wise!

How great was my anticipation,
Before each midnight watch would start,
Of quiet times of meditation
Upon God’s Word that thrilled my heart!

O Lord, I thank You for the treasures
I’ve barely started to explore
Exceeding all this world’s pleasures,
Yet in Your presence, how much more!

We see now through a darkened glass,
Yet we shall see You face to face!
Until that day has come to pass,
Lord, make us messengers of grace.

No comments: