Sunday, March 17, 2013

Quietness in the Quandary

“LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.  Surely I have behaved and QUIETED myself” (Psalm 131:1,2).  “Better is a dry morsel, and QUIETNESS therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife” (Proverbs 17:1).  “The king of Syria… went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it… Then said the LORD unto Isaiah, Go forth now to meet Ahaz… and say unto him, Take heed, and be QUIET… Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass” (Isaiah 7:1-7).  “There was given to me a thorn in the flesh… For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:7-9).

I would not now be exercised 
In quandaries with needless fretting. 
My life by God is supervised,
A fact I shouldn’t be forgetting. 

I would not worry that my friends
Are found to be so few in number.
My Savior’s friendship neither ends,
Nor does His kindness ever slumber.

Isaiah went at God’s command
To tell king Ahaz to “Take heed”
And quietly to understand
That God would surely meet his need.

No foe against him could prevail,
Since God was ever on the throne,
And God decreed all plans would fail
Except, of course, His very own.

Another instance we can see,  
Recounted in Paul’s three-fold prayer,
Is when God answered quietly,
To tell him why the “thorn” was there. 

The thorn about which Paul had prayed
Was sent for him to trust in Christ,
So Paul thus quietly displayed
That grace from God alone sufficed.

We thank You, Lord, for quietness
As we behold Your point of view.
No quandary can now distress
Our souls as we are trusting You.

No comments: