Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lowly vs. Lucifer

“In the day when I cried Thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul... Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud He knoweth afar off” (Psalm 138:3,6).  “Lay not wait, O wicked… against the dwelling of the righteous; spoil not his resting place:  for a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief” (Proverbs 24:16).  “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!  How art thou cut down to the ground… For thou hast said in thine heart… I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12-14).  “But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Galatians 6:14). 

I do recall that day so well
When I in desperation prayed.
I didn’t know the hosts of hell
Against me then had been arrayed.

How pitiful it must have seemed
That I, a sinner, could prevail,
But God drew near and He redeemed
My wretched soul, so lost and frail. 

There’s surely more than meets the eye:
The Lord respects the prayer that’s low. 
For though the Lord be very high,
The lowly He will stoop to know. 

Though Satan shows my list of crimes
Which I know well (and more recall) 
And though I’ve fallen seven times,
The Lord still lifts me when I fall!

How far has Lucifer been cast
From heaven’s glory to the ground!
He spends his energies at last
Deceiving souls that are hell bound.

By pride was Lucifer’s destruction,
And pride is his deceptive tool
To lure the soul by his seduction 
To turn from God and be a fool.

But God forbid that I should glory,
Except in Christ and in His cross,
As I recount the wondrous story
Of how He ransomed me from loss!

Lord, till we’re in Your presence holy
When we shall see You face to face,
We pray that You will keep us lowly,
That we may triumph in Your grace.

No comments: