Thursday, April 19, 2012

Litmus of Love


“Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou Me more than these?  He saith unto Him, Yea, Lord; Thou knowest that I love Thee.  He saith unto him, Feed My lambs…. Feed My sheep…. Feed My sheep…. Follow Me” (John 21:15-19).

“Lovest thou Me more than these?” our Lord asked.
Now what is the answer that flows from our heart?
He knows the truth!  It can never be masked
Before Him who searches our most inward part!

The question is simple, yet searches so deep!
It’s testing the measure of love for our Lord.
The litmus of love is still proving His sheep,
And this is the purging by which we’re restored.

“Lovest thou Me?” comes the question again.
Now what shall I answer?  What words shall I speak?
Led by His Spirit, my heart cries, Amen!
You know that I love You, though my love is weak!

“Lovest thou Me?” our Lord questioned Peter,
And O how it grieved him to hear it repeated!
Yet this was his purging, and healing was sweeter
Than living in sorrow, ashamed and defeated.

O Lord, we have each stood before You the same
In Peter’s condition, so much like our own,
And yet by Your blood You have washed us from shame:
How great is Your mercy to us have shown!

We thank You, O Lord, for restoring our soul!
Now lead us to walk on the path of Your will,
Thus feeding Your sheep by Your Spirit’s control,
Applying the litmus of love for You still.

No comments: