Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Reproaches Remembered

"The zeal of Thine house hath eaten me up, and the reproaches of them that reproached Thee are fallen upon Me.... Thou hast known my reproach.... Reproach hath broken My heart, and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none. They gave Me also gall for My meat, and in My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink" (Psalm 69:9,19-21).

How deeply Jesus Christ our Lord
Was filled with holy zeal
And with reproaches on Him poured
Of those He came to heal.

How surely then reproaches broke
The Father's heart then too,
As from the cross our Savior spoke
Of grief His Father knew.

How heavy was the burden then
Of our iniquity
Which fell upon our Savior when
He died at Calvary.

O Lord, we scarcely realize
Your depths of heaviness;
We're like those found with sleepy eyes
When You were in distress!

As in Gethsemane You came
To those who soundly slept,
O Lord, You find us just the same
With vigilance not kept.

Yet when we see the wrath You bore
And our reproaches taken,
O Lord, we learn to love You more
And sleep from us is shaken!

We thank You, Lord, for what You did
For sheep that went astray:
Our sins' reproaches have been hid;
You washed them all away!

No comments: