Monday, November 20, 2017

Great Matters of God's Mercy


"LORD, my heart is not haughty… neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.  Surely I… hope in the LORD from henceforth and forever" (Psalm 131:1-3).  "Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?... Mercy and truth preserve the King: and His throne is upholden by mercy" (Proverbs 20:9,28).  "Behold… and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days" (Habakkuk 1:5).  "If I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you" (Luke 11:20).

My heart cannot be lifted up
With pride when I consider well
The wrath that filled my Savior's cup
He drank to save my soul from hell. 

There's no one who can truly say
That he has made his own heart clean;
All we like sheep have gone astray,
But Christ has come to intervene! 

Behold His work so marvelous: 
The Lamb of God was sacrificed!    
His grace and truth victorious
Have satisfied the throne of Christ!

Your mercy that we contemplate,
O God, is higher than we knew. 
For us such matters were too great,
But they were not too great for You!  


No comments: