Friday, December 23, 2016

First Fire


"Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties" (Psalm 141:4).  "Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat… My son, give Me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe My ways" (Proverbs 23:3,26).  "I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works, or else I will… remove thy candlestick " (Revelation 2:4,5). 

The Lord beholds our heart's desire;
He sees the coldness of our love. 
May we rekindle first love's fire
And set our hearts on things above!

The empty "dainties" we behold
Betray the soul with vain deceit
And leave the heart depressed and cold
Because they are deceitful meat. 

Let such distractions now depart,
So we may heed the invitation
To fully give to God our heart
As we rejoice in His salvation.  

Lord, as You find our hearts aloof  
Where love's first fire should be stirred,
Arrest us with Your wise reproof
As You revive us with Your Word.  


No comments: