Monday, August 01, 2016

Delivered from Distress


"Today the LORD hath wrought salvation in Israel" (1 Samuel 11:13).  "The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.  In my distress I called upon the LORD… He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me… Thou hast also given me the shield of Thy salvation: and Thy right hand hath holden me up, and Thy gentleness hath made me great" (Psalm 18:5,6,17,35).  "Whoso hearkeneth unto Me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil" (Proverbs 1:33). 

In times of deepest tribulation,
When I was calling in distress,
The Lord extended His salvation
And lifted me with gentleness. 

God knew my enemy was strong,
Indeed, much stronger than I knew,
When He gave me His triumph song
As all my enemies withdrew. 

The Lord has given me His shield
And His right hand has held me up. 
His cross became the battlefield,
And there He drank my judgment's cup.

You have delivered me, O Lord,
When hell's distress was drawing near,
With grace You only could afford
That quieted my heart from fear.  


No comments: