Thursday, July 21, 2016

Kinder Kinsman


"I am thy near kinsman: howbeit there is a kinsman nearer than I… If he will not do the part of a kinsman to thee, then will I do the part of a kinsman to thee… And, behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake came by… And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem… lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself" (Ruth 3:12-4:6).  "These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33). 

The moral Law of God decreed
That we were guilty, charged with sin.
We were accountable indeed,
United to the Law like kin. 

But then a kinder Kinsman came
To do what Law could never do: 
The Lord redeemed us from our shame  
And gave us peace we never knew. 

No kinder words were ever spoken
To us, who by the Law were cursed,
With hearts so hopeless and so broken
By sins our conscience had rehearsed. 

We thank You, Lord, for this reminder
Foreseen in Boaz and in Ruth:
The Law foretold a Kinsman kinder,
Foreshadowing Your grace and truth.  


No comments: