Saturday, July 30, 2016

Standing Still


"Stand thou still a while, that I may show thee the Word of God" (1 Samuel 9:27).  "I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons… Thou wilt show me the path of life" (Psalm 16:7,11).  "Every word of God is pure: He is a Shield unto them that put their trust in Him" (Proverbs 30:5).  "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John… they marveled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13). 

There is no substitute we find
For standing still to hear God's Word. 
In busyness we may be blind
When counsel from the Lord is blurred. 

The Lord instructs us in the night
Before the day dawns with its strife,
That we may follow in His light,
Directed on the path of life. 

In stillness we are taught to yield
And find the sweetness of surrender
To Jesus Christ who is our Shield,
Our Captain, and our soul's Defender. 

Lord, in Your presence standing still,  
We find, as John and Peter did,
The strength we need to do Your will
With boldness that cannot be hid.  


No comments: