Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Rest for Ruth


"My daughter [Ruth; רוּת, friend], shall I not seek rest for thee, that it may be well with thee?  And now is not Boaz (בֹּעַז, In Strength) of our kindred?... Sit still, my daughter… for the man will not be in rest, until he have finished the thing this day" (Ruth 3:1,2,18).  "A faithful man who can find?... Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?" (Proverbs 20:6,9).  "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends… I have called you friends" (John 15:13,15). 

There was a rest that Ruth had sought
That only Boaz could provide,
For in his restless strength he fought
To thus redeem her as his bride. 

How sweetly herein we may trace
The lines of the prophetic truth
Presenting Christ's redeeming grace,
Portrayed in Boaz and in Ruth. 

A faithful man was never known
Who has been cleansed apart from Christ.
We find our rest in Him alone,
Who for our sakes was sacrificed. 
                                                     
O Christ, our Friend and our Creator,
Redemption's rest that Ruth had craved
Reflects Your love (there is none greater),
Whereby we are redeemed and saved!  


No comments: