Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Redemption's Riddle

“Wherefore should I fear in the days of evil, when the iniquity of my heels [fig. steps עָקֵב `aqeb] shall compass me about?  They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches; none of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him… But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for He shall receive me” (Psalm 49:5-15).  “Every word of God is pure: He is a shield unto them that put their trust in Him” (Proverbs 30:5).  “Who is this that forgiveth sins?” (Luke 7:49).

The Word of God today reveals
That judgment days are yet ahead
When every footstep of my heels
Is known, but wherefore should I dread?

There is a deadly confidence
As many boast in fleeting wealth,
Unmindful of the great expense
Christ paid for our eternal health. 

They think the riches they disperse,
Which many of their friends applaud,
Exempts them from the dreadful curse
Recorded in the Law of God. 

How great thus is their poverty,
For there is only ONE exemption
That cleanses all iniquity: 
In Christ ALONE is there redemption!  

I do not need to fear the grave
Since I have been redeemed by Christ,
And all who trust in Him He’ll save;  
To this end He was sacrificed! 

Now who is this who thus forgives
And has redeemed me from my sin?
Behold, my Savior ever lives
Who saved me when He entered in!

How great, Lord, was this price involved
By which I know I am redeemed! 
Redemption’s riddle has been solved
By love much greater than I dreamed! 



No comments: