Thursday, April 03, 2014

Confronting the Curse

“God said unto Balaam… Thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed” (Numbers 22:12).  “They pierced My hands and My feet… The nations shall worship before Thee… They shall come, and shall declare His righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that He hath done this” (Psalm 22:16-31).  “He giveth grace unto the lowly” (Proverbs 3:34).  “As the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be” (Matthew 24:37). 

The prophet Balaam would have cursed
God’s people for the price assessed,
But God confronted him then first,
Declaring that they had been blest. 

The curse for me, as well, drew near,
Advancing with each numbered breath. 
The wages of my sin were clear,
Extended through the second death! 

Alas!  I could not then erase
The record God could surely see,
Yet I beheld a Hiding Place
In Christ who gave Himself for me!

Behold the love of Jesus Christ: 
They pierced my Savior’s hands and feet! 
For me my Lord was sacrificed,
And thus my ransom is complete! 

How can I now begin to thank
My Lord who died to save my soul?
I contemplate the cup He drank:
Its bitter mixture then was full! 

The day will come when every nation
Shall worship Him as they recall
How Christ accomplished our salvation
By tasting death for one and all. 

He gives His grace now to the lowly
Just as He did in Noah’s day. 
Our God is love, yet He is holy,
So there is danger in delay!

We see it happening again,
As You have said it would, O Lord:
As in the days of Noah then,
Your truth is willfully ignored!

O Lord, we know there’s no defense
For those who turn away from You,
Since Your prophetic evidence
Now proves the Gospel to be true! 

Lord, help us show what You have done
To put away our condemnation,
So souls confronted may be won
Who turn to You and find salvation. 

No comments: