Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Forgotten Light of First Love


“Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom… The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe” (Proverbs 18:1,10).  “Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works” (Revelation 2:4,5). 

The days and months have turned to years
Since heaven heard my earnest cry;
I sought the Lord with growing fears
That I was not prepared to die. 

With great desire in my heart
I had begun my separation;
I saw my friends from me depart
Who didn’t like my conversation.

I turned my conversation then
To God, the One I did not know.
I could not speak with mortal men
Who only cared for things below. 

I did not want religious views  
Which offered only more confusion,
But what else was there left to choose
With evidence for a conclusion?

These musings here reflect a taste
Of awkward prayers which heaven heard. 
I wondered if they were a waste:
Then God responded with His Word! 

For someone then invited me
(When in the Navy, in Japan)
To hear the truth that set me free
With evidence that showed God’s plan. 

My Savior’s name was like a tower 
Wherein I fled and thus was saved! 
Receiving Christ, He gave His power
Of His salvation which I craved. 

How well I can recall first love! 
My Savior took me by the hand
And fixed my heart on things above
To show the blessings He had planned. 

He showed me also then His cross,
And all the sorrows that He bore
To purge my sin away as dross,
And thus I loved Him even more. 

Salvation never can be lost,
But first love for my Lord can wane:
If I forget to count the cost
My Savior paid, I live in vain!

O Christ my Lord, I was a stranger,
But You gave me a second birth; 
Yet now I face the subtle danger  
Of waning love for You on earth! 

No wonder, Lord, You gave us bread
With wine that we may thus recall
The life You gave, the blood You shed,
And love that made You give Your all.

Lord, soon we’ll see You face to face,
Without a blemish, fully pardoned.
O keep us from the great disgrace
Of first love left with hearts thus hardened! 

Lord, stir in us the first love flame
When love was burning in its youth,
And send us forth to now proclaim
The Gospel of Your saving truth!  


No comments: