Monday, July 08, 2013

Sinking in Silence

“Unless the LORD had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in SILENCE.  When I said, My foot slippeth; Thy mercy, O LORD, held me up” (Psalm 94:17,18).  “Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea… And Peter answered Him and said, Lord, if it be Thou, bid me come unto Thee on the water.  And He said, Come.  And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.  And immediately Jesus stretched forth His hand, and caught him” (Matthew 14:25-31).

Unless the Lord had helped my soul,
I would have slipped beneath the waves.
I called on God, He took control,
And showed me then how well He saves.

How many times I’ve learned again
That God is waiting for my prayer!
His mercy is extended when
I cast upon Him all my care!

My Savior walked upon the sea
When wind and waves were greatly stirred,
Yet when He issued His decree,
They all were silenced by His Word. 

Our silence sometimes has its place,
But not when we are called to pray!
In time of need we’ll find His grace:
That time of need is EVERYDAY!

When Peter’s eyes were on the Lord
And on His power he was thinking,
The wind and waves could be ignored,
But when distracted, he was sinking.

The prayer of Peter then was small
(If he prayed longer, he might drown):
He cried, “Lord, save me!” That was all,
And that was when our Lord reached down.

Like Peter, Lord, we are the same: 
How easily we are distraught
Until we call upon Your name
And find the peace in You we’ve sought.

How strangely, Lord, we have behaved
When silent in our tribulation,
For that is NOT how we were saved
When we first prayed for our salvation!

Lord, thank You for Your patient love
That prompts our hearts to pray to You
As we draw near Your throne above
To find Your mercies ever new. 


No comments: