Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weeping with the Waves

"The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves. The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea" (Psalm 93:3,4). "The Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the Gospel of the grace of God.... And when they heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? For I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done" (Acts 20:22-24, 21:12-14).

The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
The noise of threatening waves!
Yet there is peace that You afford,
With grace that mightily saves!

Those floods had no effect on Paul
With all their promised strife.
He knew that God was working all
For good throughout his life.

Yet Paul had friends beset with sorrow
Beseeching him with tears,
Who saw the dangers of tomorrow
And warned him of their fears.

The vision Paul then clearly shared,
Was filled with God the Son.
Above all other things he cared
That God's will would be done.

Lord, give us such a mind as this,
To trust You with our soul,
And find the joy we would not miss
By giving You control.

No comments: