Saturday, October 01, 2016

Sorrow that Saves


"She [the widow] said unto Elijah, What have I to do with thee, O thou man of God?  Art thou come unto me to call my sin to remembrance?" (1 Kings 17:18).  "O remember not against us former iniquities… purge away our sins, for Thy name's sake" (Psalm 79:8,9).  "Turn you at My reproof: behold, I will pour out My spirit unto you, I will make known My words unto you" (Proverbs 1:23).  "Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation… but the sorrow of the world worketh death" (2 Corinthians 7:10). 

Elijah had been sent by God
To give the widow hope within,
And not to bring His judgment rod
With a remembrance of her sin. 

Our sins by grace and truth are purged,
For this is why our Lord was sent
And why the sinner now is urged  
To turn to Christ and to repent. 

Our sorrow by God's revelation,
Exposing our iniquity,
Has brought to light His great salvation
Which, by His grace, has made us free. 

Lord, thank You for the saving path
Of sorrow leading to repentance
That saves all those who flee from wrath
And blots our sins out of remembrance. 


No comments: