Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Truth about Transience

“LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.  Behold, Thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before Thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.  Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.  And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in Thee… O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more” (Psalm 39:4-13). 

How transient is life on this earth! 
How short is our measure of days!
How little our impact is worth,
Unless it results in God’s praise!

Our age is a moment that’s brief,
A vapor that passes away. 
Our riches will fall like a leaf
And burn in a heap of decay.

But life doesn’t have to be vain
Or spent in a petty pursuit.
The path of salvation is plain
Producing eternity’s fruit.

We cannot reclaim what is wasted,
But why should we waste any more?
The goodness of God has been tasted,
So what are we now waiting for?

Lord, all of our hope is in You:
O spare us from wasting Your time! 
Our moments on earth are so few:
But You can make each one sublime!

As long as we have any breath,
Before we’re transported above,
Lord, cause us in life and in death
To live in response to Your love.


No comments: